Before You Bring Your Puppy Home
Preparing For Your Brittany Puppy
I will send you home with a collar, blanket with the scent of Mom and littermates, food (enough for a few days), NuVet vitamins (enough for a few days), toy, health record, microchip info, and health guarantee. Your pup will be up to date with all shots and preventative treatments.
You might want to have:
- A leash
- 2 bowls, not plastic. Plastic can turn black noses brown or pink or cause sores on the nose and mouth.
- A crate of your personal preference in style roughly 25" long, 18.5" wide and 21" tall. This is not an exact science and crate sizes are not constant among manufacterers. This size crate is very roomy for your pup as an adult. You will use a divider, blankets, towels or boxes to block off the back of the crate now and only give your pup room to lay down and turn around. If you let your pup have the whole crate, he will make an apartment with a bathroom on one end and a bedroom on the other. You only want him to have a bedroom :-) If you wish you can choose a smaller crate for little pup initially. Crating is very important as a bored little puppy can always find something to do or get into. At times you are able to supervise puppy 100% put him in his crate for his safety and your sanity! ;-)
- A comb, pin brush or slicker brush
- Nail trimmers are optional but you might want to trim his nails just a bit every 2 weeks. Make sure you have a product like Kwik Stop styptic powder in case you cut too short.
- If you are planning to bathe him use a puppy/dog moisturizing shampoo. Not human products.
- I HIGHLY urge you to stay on the recommended food, Life's Abundance Premium Dog Food, throughout your dog's life. I absolutely feel as though this is the best nutrition for your dog's optimal health. You can get the wholesale price by clicking the link and getting on an autoship program. They ship right to your door. This is the freshest product available and generally arrives to you within 6 weeks of being made. It keeps in the resealable bag for a year. Most store bought dog food doesn't even make it to the shelf until it's 6 months old. More on this dog food on my Life's Abundance Page. Puppies are eating about 1/2-3/4 a cup 3 times a day when they are ready to come home.
- I also STRONGLY recommend that you keep your pup on NuVet vitamins throughout his life. It will boost his immune system and keep him as healthy as possible. Our adults and pups are on NuVet and I wouldn't have it any other way. We are so fortunate to have consistently healthy adults and pups. You can order by phone or internet by clicking any NuVet link on this page. Dog food can only hold so many ingredients and NuVet is the best way to bridge the gap between average and optimal health for your dog.
- Rope toys, hard rubber toys and stuffed toys are all acceptable. As soon as a stuffed toy starts to come apart, either sew it or throw it! No rawhide not ever.
- I like to have dog beds throughout the house. It's nice to train your pup to go to his bed when you are cooking, entertaining, etc and you don't want him underfoot. Dog beds can be washed easily but if he curls up on the same spot on the carpet, that's a much bigger project to clean.
- In general, I suggest to pass by the treat section. Most of the treats available in the pet section is no good for our pets. Get your pup a BarkBox every month! They research the treats for us! He needs his nutrition from his food (not your table scraps either) so I cook a piece of chicken, beef, liver, or venison, cut into 1/2" cubes and freeze. Take out 1 piece a day for a training session and tear into many tiny slivers. Also treats may upset his stomach and besides that, you don't want him nibbling at your hand every time you go to pet him because he is expecting a treat. You can also make your own treats with yogurt, cut up fruit/veggies and put into an ice cube tray and placed in the freezer. Or stuff it into a KONG and freeze it for days you are busy or gone. If you prefer to buy treats, the other approved treats we recommend on the market are Life's Abundance Tasty Rewards. They have a great smell that will get your canine's attention for successful training and they aren't empty calorie junk treats. They are tasty and made from wholesome ingredients. And you don't have to worry about recalls!
Diamond Brittany Puppy Care Instructions
VERY IMPORTANT! READ CAREFULLY! WHEN YOUR NEW PUPPY COMES HOME, MAKE IT A RELAXING FIRST 24 HRS. STRESS CAN CAUSE A VARIETY OF PROBLEMS. ENCOURAGE YOUR PUPPY TO EAT SOON AFTER YOU GET HOME. IF HE ISN’T INTERESTED TRY AGAIN AT DINNNERTIME OR JUST AFTER. Pup should eat something! Even if it’s just a few kibbles, that’s good. Life's Abundance Premium Health Food For Dogs & Puppies is a very concentrated wholesome food so even a few kibbles are providing excellent nutrition. You feed less of this food than any other food I have researched.
- PUPPY SHOULD SEE THE VET WITHIN 3 BUSINESS DAYS OF GOING HOME!
- SECOND PUPPY SHOT DUE AROUND 9 WEEKS
- THIRD PUPPY SHOT DUE AROUND 12 WEEKS
- FOURTH PUPPY SHOT DUE AROUND 16 WEEKS
- RABIES SHOT SHOULD BE GIVEN AS CLOSE TO 4 MONTHS AS POSSIBLE.
- YOUR PUP’S IMMUNE SYSTEM IS NOT FULLY CAPABLE OF FIGHTING DISEASE UNTIL AT LEAST THE 3RD SHOT – HE/SHE CAN CATCH HUMAN AILMENTS LIKE STREP THROAT AND A VARIETY OF DOG DISEASES SO DO NOT BRING YOUR PUPPY AROUND SICK PEOPLE OR WHERE OTHER ANIMALS ARE OR HAVE BEEN. If you go to the pet store or vet before they have had all vaccinations at 16 weeks keep the puppy of the ground!! This is very important! No puppy classes until all shots have been given!
- DO NOT LET YOUR VET GIVE MORE THAN 1 NEW VACCINATION AT ONCE. That way god forbid there is a reaction you know to which it was.
- FLEA AND TICK PREVENTATIVE IS VERY IMPORTANT. ASK YOUR VET WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOUR AREA.
- HEARTGUARD MONTHLY IS IMPORTANT – IF YOUR PUPPY DOESN’T TOLERATE THIS MONTHLY ADMINISTRATION, USE THE DAILY HEARTGUARD
- MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO CLEANERS, CARPET POWDERS, SHARP OBJECTS, OR ANYTHING ANYWHERE YOUR PUPPY MIGHT BE THAT MIGHT POSE HIM/HER HARM. PUPPYPROOF YOUR HOUSE! I’M DEAD SERIOUS ON THIS ONE. AIR FRESHENERS, SANITIZERS, ETC. CAN KILL IF SPRAYED ON PUPS, BOWLS, FOOD, WATER, CRATES, ETC. MAKE SURE YOU RINSE EVERYTHING THOROUGHLY!
- I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE NUVETPLUS SUPPLEMENTS AS IT ACTS AS AN IMMUNITY BOOSTER. Really helps to keep your puppy safe and healthy! Again, you need to be proactive to keep your pup safe!
Call, text or email anytime between 9am to 9pm!
If you are having an emergency with your puppy and need advise asap please feel free to call anytime day or night! I'm here to help you. I have been a vet tech for 9 years and can tell you in some cases what to do to help or if he needs to seek medical help in a timely matter.